Death Before Resurrection
- Where in your life do you feel most desperate for the power of God to move?
- How are you seeking resurrection power in this area without death and burial as a prerequisite? ** Remember, sometimes what needs to die is our desire! This is not an exercise in twisting God’s arm. **
- As you reflect upon your life, where do you need to die? For many it is in areas of control, power, success, approval, or comfort. What about you?
- What does it look like to die in that area in order to experience the resurrection of Jesus?
- Consider this quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer. What resonates with you the most? “The cross is laid on every Christian. The first Christ-suffering which every man must experience is the call to abandon the attachments of this world. It is that dying of the old man which is the result of his encounter with Christ. As we embark upon discipleship we surrender ourselves to Christ in union with his death—we give over our lives to death. Thus it begins; the cross is not the terrible end to an otherwise god-fearing and happy life, but it meets us at the beginning of our communion with Christ. When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die.”
- Do you want to learn more about this topic? Read “J Curve” by Paul E. Miller or “The Cost of Discipleship” by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- What is your action step this week?